So you came to Amsterdam and you would like to have a taste of the Dutch cuisine? Stick around for an overview of the best Dutch restaurants in Amsterdam offering authentic Dutch dishes. The Dutch cuisine itself is fairly simple and consists of three basic elements; seasonable vegetables, potato’s and meat. Usually these three elements are served on the same plate but separate from each other. Exceptions to this rule are dishes such as ‘stamppot’, ‘boerenkool’ (kale) and ‘hachee’ where these three elements are mixed.
Address: Helmersstraat 33, 1054CZ
Traditional Dutch food as grandma would cook it. Best of all; healthy meal for little money!
Address: Spuistraat 275 1012VR
Tasty Dutch dishes for just under €20,-.
Address: Peperstraat 23, 1011TJ
Dutch delicacy dishes with the very best ingredients from The Netherlands.
Authentic Dutch dishes
The Dutch cuisine is not as popular and versatile as for instance Italian or Japanese. Though we do have a few authentic Dutch dishes worth trying. If you want to taste Dutch cuisine you should definitely ask for one of the following dishes:
- Boerenkool; boiled potatoes mashed with kale and diced bacon. Usually served with gravy and ‘rookworst’, a smoked meat sausage. Boerenkool is considered to be a winter dish. According to the Dutch night frost is needed to get the best taste from the kale.
- Hutspot; boiled potatoes mashed with carrots and unions and diced bacon. Just like Boerenkool, Hutspot is usually accompanied with ‘rookworst’, but can be served with other kinds of meat.
- Andijvie Stamppot; our personal favourite! Boiled potatoes mashed with raw endive and diced bacon.
- Pannekoeken: Dutch pancakes, that can be served in an infinite number of ways. Traditionally the most common way to serve pancakes is with treacle syrup, apples, jam, cheese or bacon.
- Snert/Erwtensoep: verythick peasoup. It can be eaten as a starter or as a main dish for lunch with bread. Snert is Usually eaten in the winter when it’s cold, but some restaurants serve it all year round.
Tip a Dutch restaurant in Amsterdam
Do you feel that we missed out on a Dutch restaurant that should be listed? Let us know!
Also check out other Amsterdam restaurants